Sam was first introduced to acoustics through music. While in school, Sam enjoyed participating in band and orchestra and dabbled in creating his very own compositions. Later on, he developed an interest in building design and realized that, through acoustics, he could combine both of his passions.
Sam is driven by the knowledge that acoustical design has the power to change our perception of the built environment. He was inspired by a specific project— the Lewis Central Community School District’s High School performing arts addition. The space gives students a beautiful venue to express themselves through the arts, much like he did when he was a young musician.
Sam‘s dedication to lifelong learning has led him to pursue a Ph.D. through the Durham School of Architectural Engineering and Construction at the University of Nebraska—Lincoln. There, Sam is helping to teach the next generation of engineers and researching new avenues of acoustical consulting and design. Through a partnership with the Durham School and IP Design Group, Sam and a joint team have explored state-of-the-art acoustical imaging techniques and developed data-driven design criteria for sound isolation of mothers’ rooms. Sam’s research in areas including acoustic conditions in restaurants, acoustic measurement standards, and auditory accessibility, aims to help move the industry forward. In addition to his studies, Sam has also been a contributing member of the Acoustical Society of America and the Institute of Noise Control Engineering.
- Acoustical Society of America Member
- Institute of Noise Control Engineering Member
- The Leo and Gabriella Beranek Scholarship in Architectural Acoustics and Noise Control Recipient
- INCE Student Scholarship Recipient
- University of Nebraska—Lincoln Durham School of Architectural Engineering and Construction Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society Fellowship Recipient
- University of Nebraska—Lincoln Durham School of Architectural Engineering and Construction Senior Vice Chancellor Outstanding Undergraduate Award Recipient
“I am driven by the knowledge that acoustical design has the power to change our perception of the built environment for the better.”