Polk County Justice Center
Des Moines, Iowa
Polk County voters approved an $81-million bond referendum to renovate the existing courthouse and expand the courts services to the former county jail and former Wellmark building. Crucial success factors for the project were the phases of planning, demolition, systems design, schedule, and cost.
- The telecommunications portion of the project included technology infrastructure for voice/data cabling, IT space design, backbone and horizontal cabling, as well as primary and secondary pathways for these elements.
- The electronic access control scope included extending their existing system, adding durress buttons, and adding door monitors.
- The electronic video surveillance system scope included migrating the analog cameras to IP-based and adding new IP cameras and associated equipment.
- Coordination among county, state, and security personnel was integral through the duration of the project.
- Acoustical design services included providing recommendations for acceptable sound quality and sound isolation in the designated spaces.
- The audiovisual systems throughout the facility include sound reinforcement, video evidence display for the courtrooms, speech amplification and recording, video presentation for training rooms and conference room spaces, as well as digital signage and room scheduling systems.
Photography credit: Kessler Photography